We believe in supporting saving as early as possible. Encouraging our children to start saving at a young age is the gift that keeps on giving.
Junior Account Operating Rules
Our children’s savings accounts, is a savings account for a member who is under the age of 16. The savings account is the sole property of the minor in question and no one else is entitled to use it for his/her own benefit. Further details on our Junior Accounts can be found on the link below.
What Do I Need To Apply?
All of the information you need is noted on our application form, which you can FREEPOST to us, but please see examples below:
- Copy of Minor’s Birth Certificate (if unavailable, a passport copy may be used providing the Parent/ Guardian is a HSSCU member and their surname matches that of the Minor)
- Certified copy of Parent/Guardian’s photo identification e.g. valid passport or driver’s license
- Copy of a recent utility bill (Phone/Gas/Electricity, etc.) OR a recent bank statement in the name of the Parent/Guardian
- Proof of Minor’s PPSN
- If Minor has a Guardian; a copy of the legal guardianship declaration
Savings Tips for Young Members:
As a parent or guardian, you can save into your child’s account and also encourage them to do so. You can help them save some of their pocket money and build a savings habit that lasts for life. This is an excellent way to help to develop future financial independence.
- Set Savings TARGETS (Weekly goals are great for younger children)
- Set Savings GOALS (E.G. After 1 month of saving, they can buy themselves a new toy)
- Save Continuous Small Amounts
- Save FREQUENTLY
- Have Them Track Their Savings
- Set Incentives for Saving (Maybe they get to watch their favourite show or play their favourite game every time they save?)
Savings Tips for ADULTS
- Reward children for regular savings. Story-time, playdates, and play-time are great incentives.
- Encourage children not to buy on impulse, but to take time to consider their decision.
- Identify Savings Goals – both short-term and long-term.
- Make a colourful Savings Calendar to highlight when goals will be achieved.
- Give pocket money in small denominations to encourage children to put a little aside.
- Consider linking pocket money to chores – money should be earned.
While helping our Junior Members save you can also help them have fun with our Junior Member Activity Pack!Application Form Junior Account Rules
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PARENTS/GUARDIANS
Once a junior member turns 16, control of the account is with the account holder, i.e. the now adult member.
All Junior Accounts are Shares Accounts in HSSCU, meaning that their funds will be accessible to them as Shares Accounts going forward.