Higher Education Scholarships
HSSCU offers Higher Education Scholarships to our members. We understand the importance of education and are here to support our community.
Scholarship Applications for 2022 are now CLOSED.
Supporting members with their educational pursuits is extremely important to HSSCU.
- We provide €50,000 in scholarship funds each year.
- Whether studying for a degree, diploma, masters or any further education course, you can apply for a HSSCU scholarship.
- So far we have helped members pursue physiotherapy courses, art courses, disability studies and more.
- We also help fund education courses with HSSCU Education Loans and our annual Betty Noone Memorial Bursary
Scholarship Applications Are Now ClosedScholarship Application Form Scholarships Leaflet
Scholarship Terms & Conditions
- Prospective applicants are required to have joined HSSCU prior to March 1st in the year of application.
- A minimum balance of €50 (excluding the entry fee for HSSCU’s Member Prize Draw) must be maintained in this account for a minimum of 6 months prior to the application closing date.
- There must be a minimum of 1 transaction per month (not including the Member Prize Draw) on the applicant’s account.
- Scholarships are available exclusively for the payment of college fees. All repeat fees, if applicable, are borne by the student.
- Applicants will be required to submit a typed essay (400 – 500 words) entitled “How HSSCU’s Scholarship Would Assist Me in Furthering My Education/Career”. Handwritten essays will be excluded.
HSSCU Scholarship Recipients
I decided to go back to college and had done 3 years, but couldn’t afford to do my 4th. I had to take a year out and try to save up money, however I have 3 kids at home so that was a bit of a struggle. Then I saw Kredit and the advertisement of the scholarship and I applied, not really believing that I would get it. However, I got a phone call from HSSCU to say that I had won the scholarship. It just made my life so much easier. I’m fully qualified now, I just finished my 4th year and I’d like to say thank you to HSSCU for making my journey that little bit easier.
Around the same time that I was accepted to my Masters in Rehabilitation and Disability Studies I received a letter through the door from HSSCU where I saw that there is a scholarship available for higher education students. I applied for the scholarship not really thinking that I would succeed. A few weeks into the course I received a call from Pádraig telling me that I had been chosen for the scholarship and I couldn’t believe it – it was just fantastic! It made such a difference to me. Thank you so much HSSCU for
sponsoring me in my education.
As a long term member of the Health Services Staffs Credit Union I was aware of its commitment to supporting and promoting lifelong learning. This meant an awful lot to me, as I am retired. My course suited me down to the ground because I believe one learns so much from the process of exploring ideas, experimenting with different techniques and materials and problem solving. The scholarship has made it possible for me to realise my dream and I found the support and encouragement from the HSS Credit Union personnel very helpful.
What the scholarship has done is afford me a chance to better myself through further education at a time in my life where it was not financially an option. It was a pipe dream, but now I find myself halfway through my course. The HSSCU are not just supporting me by awarding me this scholarship, they are supporting my family and ultimately providing us with a brighter future.
The HSSCU scholarship has effectively changed my life. I received a call to say that I have been awarded the HSSCU scholarship to the value of €15,000. I am not sure I can accurately put into words the level of impact it has had and will continue to have on my life. It has served as a means for me to engage in something truly meaningful and has opened up a door to my dream job.