Healthy Recipe for HSSCU Members!
We are always trying to find ways to take care of our members. Recently, a collaborator for our Kredit ‘Expert Corner’, Maeve Hanan reached an amazing milestone by releasing her very own healthy recipe book entitled ‘Your No Nonsense Guide to Eating Well’. We just HAD to ask Maeve for an easy, sneak-peak recipe to share with our members 🙂 The book brings cooking back to basics and we are very excited for Maeve. You can read the recipe below and find out more about Maeve’s book right here
Healthy Mexican Bean Soup – Serves 2
- 400g tin of taco beans
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 handful of frozen peppers (or 1 fresh pepper, chopped)
- 1 handful of frozen onions (or 1 small fresh onion, chopped)
- 200g tin of sweetcorn
- 1 teaspoon of dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon of dried cumin
- 2 teaspoons of chilli powder (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 wholegrain pitta bread per person
- 2 tablespoons of guacamole per person
- Combine the taco beans, tinned tomatoes, peppers, onions, sweetcorn and spices in a pan (you can add a second tin of tomatoes or some water if you like your soup to be a thinner consistency). If using fresh onion and pepper, sauté these in a pan until they begin to soften before adding the other ingredients.
- Bring this to the boil and simmer, stirring as needed, until all of the vegetables are cooked.
- Serve this with a wholegrain pitta filled with guacamole (or top the soup with the guacamole).
Nutrition Information (per serving):
- Kcals: 480
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 95g
- Fibre: 19g
- Added sugar: 0g
- Salt: 1g
We hope you liked the above article and we are delighted for Maeve!
*Please note that Health Services Staffs Credit Union is not an expert on nutrition and that all above advice is from Maeve Hanan, registered dietician.
Are You Interested in Sharing Your Expertise?
Should you feel that you have expertise that would help HSSCU members, please email your idea/proposal to email@example.com.